Rear-End Collision Attorney in Colorado Springs
As motorists, we are all instructed to maintain adequate distance from the vehicle in front of us. We are also told to safely slow down or come to a stop if the vehicle in front does so. Unfortunately, those instructions are often overlooked when a driver gets careless or reckless behind the wheel. That driver may speed or follow another vehicle too closely. That careless driver’s behavior puts other motorists at risk for a rear-end collision.
A rear-end collision can be a catastrophic accident for the other vehicle or vehicles involved. The occupants of other vehicles typically do not see the collision coming. Nor do they have times to brace themselves for the impact. As a result, rear-end accident victims can suffer serious, life-altering injuries.
If you or a loved one have been rear-ended in Colorado, contact Jeffrey S. Lasswell, PC today to schedule a case evaluation to discuss your rights and options. A skilled attorney can help you pursue financial recovery for your injuries and damages.
I Was Rear-Ended. Now What?
You may ask yourself: Should I file a claim if I got rear ended? If your vehicle is in a rear-end collision, these steps will give you a better chance at securing full financial compensation for your injuries and damages:
- Call 911. If you have been injured, you or someone else should call 911 to summon emergency medical services.
- Contact the police. Even if a 911 call is not made, contact the police directly to send an officer to the accident scene. The officer will prepare a police accident report. It can serve as critical evidence in a later rear-end accident claim.
- Get the contact and insurance information of the other driver. This information allows you to make a claim against the other driver’s insurance policy.
- Document the accident scene. Take photos or video of the accident scene. Try to include: 1) the locations of vehicles after the accident; 2) the damage to the vehicles involved in the accident; 3) any skid marks; 4) any signage or traffic lights at the scene; 5) any additional details, such as the lighting, weather, road and traffic conditions at the time of the accident. If you suffered any visible injuries, photograph those as well.
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible. Even if you do not feel as though you were injured in the accident, follow up with your doctor. A doctor may find injuries that do not yet exhibit pain or symptoms. Promptly identifying your injuries will give you a stronger claim for compensation in your rear-end collision case.
- Speak to an experienced rear-end accident attorney. Speak with a rear-end accident attorney about your legal rights and options. An attorney can also begin pursuing financial compensation on your behalf.
How a Lawyer Can Help After Someone Rear Ends You
Was your vehicle rear-ended due to another driver’s carelessness? A car accident lawyer can help you recover the compensation you deserve for your injuries and damages. Jeffrey S. Lasswell, PC can help you pursue a rear-end accident case by:
- Investigating the circumstances of your accident and securing evidence for your case. The evidence can include the police accident report, accident scene photos and vehicle damage/repair reports.
- Identifying the at-fault parties and insurance coverages available for compensation.
- Consulting with an accident reconstructionist to build a strong and effective legal argument. The reconstructionist can show why your accident occurred and how the other driver caused the collision.
- Aggressively negotiating with the insurance companies to seek a settlement that provides you with fair and full compensation.
- Preparing to take your case to court and to trial, should that become necessary.
- Advocating on your behalf at trial to secure a verdict and judgment in your favor.
Compensation in a Rear-End Accident Claim
When you have been in a rear-end accident through no fault of your own, you may be entitled to seek compensation for your injuries and damages such as:
- Past and future medical expenses, including hospital bills, surgeries, doctor’s office visits, prescription medication, mobility equipment, copays and deductibles, long-term care, and even alterations to your home, vehicle, or place of work to accommodate injuries or disabilities
- Lost wages, for time missed from work during your recovery
- Lost earning capacity, if your injuries keep you from returning to your old job and you can no longer earn the same level of income
- Loss of enjoyment or quality of life, due to consequences of your injuries such as physical disfigurement or the inability to take care of daily tasks
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage, such as the cost to repair or replace your vehicle or damaged items inside it
Common Causes of Rear-End Accidents
Many rear-end collisions are caused by careless or reckless driving. Examples of common causes of rear-end accidents in Colorado Springs include:
- Distracted driving, such as from cell phone use, using the car radio/entertainment, eating/drinking, or interacting with other occupants of the vehicle
- Heavy traffic
- Road rage or other aggressive driving
- Fatigued or drowsy driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Unsafe lane changes
Rear-end accidents can also result from defective auto parts or other mechanical failures in the rear-ending vehicle. Rear-end accidents can also occur in low lighting or bad weather, such as heavy precipitation or fog – both conditions that make it difficult to see a slowing or stopped vehicle.
Talk to a Rear-End Collision Attorney Now
If you or a loved one have been seriously injured in a rear-end collision in Colorado Springs that was not your fault, you deserve to seek compensation for your injuries and damages. You have the right to hold the negligent or reckless motorist responsible for your accident.
Contact Colorado Springs rear-end collision attorney Jeffrey Scott Lasswell today. You can schedule a consultation to discuss the details of your accident. You will learn more about your rights and options for compensation. You will also learn how Jeffrey S. Lasswell, PC can help you maximize your recovery for your rear-end accident claim.