Old Colorado City Slip and Fall Lawyer
There were 37,455 accidental fall deaths in the United States in a recent year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The CDC also reported that there are approximately 10 million emergency room visits stemming from fall-related injuries in a given year. These numbers reveal an epidemic of slip and fall injuries. Many of these injuries are the result of negligence by property owners and managers.
If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident in Old Colorado City, call me, Jeffrey Scott Lasswell right away. I am a former insurance attorney with more than 18 years handling these kinds of personal injury claims. During my time in private practice, I have recovered millions of dollars in compensation for people just like you. Call today or reach out to me through my contact page to schedule your free initial consultation with me.
Who Can Be Held Responsible for a Slip and fall Accident?
Slip and fall accidents fall under the area of premises liability law, the technical term for claims involving property owner negligence. Property owners and managers have a responsibility to keep their premises clean and free of potential hazards. This includes both the property itself and the surrounding environment, such as parking lots and sidewalks. If you were injured in a slip and fall accident that could have been prevented with proper care, you may have a claim against the owner or manager of the property where the accident occurred.
Parties that are often liable for slips and falls include:
- Property owners
- Property managers
- Commercial tenants
- Condo associations
- Homeowner associations
- Maintenance parties
How Do I Know if I Have a Slip and Fall Claim?
Your first step after any slip and fall accident is to see a doctor to determine the extent of your injuries. Slips and falls can range from relatively minor to serious injuries, such as broken bones or head trauma. Your first objective is to take care of your health.
Then, reach out to an experienced premises liability lawyer. I can evaluate your claim and determine if you can prove the following:
- The owner or manager of the property owed you a duty of care
- There were dangerous conditions or hazards on the property that caused the accident
- The hazards or dangerous conditions at the property were what led to your accident and injuries
- The owner or manager of the property was aware of the hazards, or they should have been aware of them
- The owner or manager of the property did not take appropriate action to either remove the hazard or warn visitors of the potential danger
Compensation in a Slip and fall Accident
If you can prove a slip and fall accident claim, you have a right to seek compensation for the damages you sustained. These potential damages include:
- The cost of any past or future medical care related to your injuries
- Any lost wages if you missed work due to your injuries
- Your reduced ability to earn a living
- Your physical pain and suffering
- Your mental anguish and reduced quality of life
No two cases involving slip and fall in Old Colorado City are alike. I can review the circumstances surrounding your claim and tell you what type of compensation may be available for your injuries.
How an Old Colorado City Slip and Fall Attorney Can Help
It’s not easy to win a slip and fall accident case. Property owners and managers don’t want to pay for your injuries. Their insurance companies know how to shift the blame and avoid paying out a claim. That’s why I recommend you hire an experienced, dedicated slip and fall accident lawyer to handle your claim. Here’s what I can do if you hire my firm for your case:
- Fully investigate your claim to determine all potentially liable parties and sources of compensation
- Gather all the necessary evidence to substantiate your claim, including medical records, witness testimony, and surveillance footage
- Handle all communication with the opposing parties, their lawyers, and their insurance companies
- Negotiate for a settlement that reflects the full extent of your losses
- Prepare your case for trial in case a fair settlement is not offered
I have worked for insurance companies and will use my knowledge of their processes to fight for your full recovery. Since I run a single-attorney firm, there will be more focus on you.
Statute of Limitations for a Slip and Fall Claim in Colorado
The statute of limitations for slip and fall accident claims in Colorado is two years from the date of your injury. If you do not file a claim by then, you can lose your opportunity to recover any compensation for your losses.
What to Do if You Have Been Hurt in a Fall on Dangerous Property in Old Colorado City
Here’s what you do if you’re hurt in a slip and fall accident:
- Call a doctor right away. Even seemingly minor falls can result in serious injuries, such as concussions, other types of brain injuries, or broken bones.
- Report the accident in writing to the owner or manager of the property.
- Gather as much evidence as you can. Take pictures. Get contact information for anyone who might have witnessed the accident. Look around for nearby surveillance cameras. Save all your medical records.
- Don’t talk to the opposing insurance company without hiring a lawyer first.
- Stay away from social media.
- Keep a journal of the pain you’re in and how your quality of life has changed since the accident.
- Speak to a slip and fall accident lawyer as soon as possible.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
Some of the common causes of slips and falls include:
- Spilled liquids on the floor
- Slippery walkways, sidewalks, and parking lots
- Debris left on the floor
- Poorly maintained sidewalks or pathways
- Electrical cords and stray wires
- Broken or damaged handrails
- Poor lighting
- Poor maintenance
Contact an Old Colorado City Slip and Fall Lawyer Today
You only have a limited time to act if you wish to recover compensation for your slip and fall accident. Because I am a single attorney firm, you know that I will personally handle every aspect of your claim from the initial consultation all the way through to the successful resolution of your case. To schedule a free case evaluation with me, call me or reach out through my contact page.