Slip and Fall Accidents in Retail Stores
According to the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), slip and fall accidents cause most of the injuries in retail stores like Walmart, Safeway, and Kroger. Here in Colorado Springs, slips, trips, and falls are especially common during the colder months. This is because ice and snow create slippery conditions both immediately inside stores and outside on their walkways.
If you were seriously injured in a slip and fall accident in Colorado Springs, you may be entitled to compensation for the injuries and other accident-related losses you suffered. I am Jeffrey Scott Lasswell, a Colorado Springs native with more than 18 years of experience assisting my neighbors throughout Southern Colorado with slip and fall accident claims. Because I’m a former insurance defense attorney, I am prepared to use my insider knowledge to help you fight for the fair compensation you deserve for your retail slip and fall accident claim.
Contact me for a free and confidential consultation. Your time to file a claim is limited, so it’s important that you act quickly.
What Happens If You Slip and Fall in a Walmart or Other Retail Store?
If you slip and fall in a store like Walmart, the steps you take immediately after the incident can have a big impact on the potential outcome of your claim. Based on my extensive experience as a slip and fall attorney, I recommend:
- Seeking immediate medical attention – Your health should be your first priority, so it’s important to see a physician to ensure that your injuries are documented and treated appropriately.
- Reporting the incident to store management – Even if your slip and fall occurs outside of the store in a parking lot or entryway, make sure you report it to a manager or property owner. Ask them to create a written report and provide you with a copy before you leave the store.
- Documenting everything about your accident – This includes taking pictures of the accident scene, writing down everything you remember about what happened, and collecting contact information from any potential witnesses. It’s also a good idea to preserve the clothing and shoes you were wearing when you fell since they might be useful pieces of evidence later on.
- Contacting a lawyer as soon as possible – If you are considering legal action or another party asks you to provide a statement about your accident, call a premises liability lawyer in Colorado Springs. A lawyer’s inside experience and extensive knowledge of Colorado law is critical to help you recover maximum compensation.
Who Is Liable?
Anyone who owns, manages, or controls a retail store is required by law to maintain safe premises for their visitors. They must also give them warnings if they are aware of any unsafe conditions that they haven’t fixed yet. As such, any of the following parties may be liable in a slip and fall accident case:
- The landlord
- The store owner
- The property manager
- Contractors or builders
- Commercial tenants
- Any parties responsible for store maintenance
If you are interested in pursuing a claim or filing a negligence lawsuit after falling because of a slippery floor, contact an experienced premises liability lawyer in Colorado Springs. You must be able to prove fault and substantiate your damages to successfully establish your claim. I can help gather evidence and advocate on your behalf to pursue the justice you deserve.
What Types of Compensation Are You Entitled To?
The types of compensation you could be entitled to receive depend heavily on the nature of your unique situation. Your ultimate financial award will be based on how you were injured and what losses you sustained as a result of your slip and fall injury. Your slip and fall accident settlement may include compensation for the following losses:
- Past and present medical expenses related to treatment for or rehabilitation from your slip and fall injuries
- Future medical expenses, if you and your doctor agree that your condition will likely require ongoing treatment
- Lost wages, if you must miss time from work because of your injuries
- Earning capacity lost for the future, if you are temporarily or permanently disabled and your long-term earning capabilities are diminished
- Suffering, emotional distress, and pain related to your injuries
- Any disfigurement or physical impairment you endure because of your injuries
How Long Do You Have to File a Claim?
Colorado’s personal injury statute of limitations generally provides slip and fall accident victims with two years to file a claim against at-fault parties. This means you have two years from the date of your slip and fall accident to take legal action. Filing your claim after this two-year deadline means your case will probably be dismissed by the court and you will likely lose out on your right to recover compensation.
As your Colorado Springs slip and fall lawyer, I will make sure that your case meets all relevant legal deadlines so that your ability to pursue financial recovery is not compromised by administrative red tape. From the minute I’m hired as your attorney, I will work immediately to preserve critical evidence and establish the strongest possible foundation for your case.
What Is the Average Payout for a Slip and Fall Lawsuit?
Because every slip and fall accident entails different circumstances and facts, there’s no precise method or formula that can tell you what the average payout is or how much you could recover for your unique claim. The most certain way to determine how much your case could be worth is to contact a knowledgeable slip and fall attorney for a free case review.
How Can a Slip and Fall Attorney Help?
When you hire me to take on your Colorado Springs slip and fall case, I will help you by:
- Handling the complicated legal aspects of your slip and fall claim so you can focus on healing
- Estimating the potential value of your case
- Identifying the parties that could be liable for your slip and fall injuries
- Communicating with insurance companies and other parties on your behalf
- Negotiating a settlement that takes all factors of your losses into account
- Taking your case to trial, if I am unable to reach a fair settlement
If you were injured in a slip and fall accident in a Colorado Springs retail store, please contact me as soon as possible. I will be happy to evaluate the strength of your claim and explain your legal options during your free initial consultation.